Kidney Stones!

Wednesday morning, I woke up feeling a little “off”. My stomach hurt and I felt a little queazy. My first thought was the reintroduction to dairy we had done on Monday had not worked as well as I thought, and my second thought was that the awesome shrimp we ate the night before was not so awesome.

Ed felt sick too, so he called in to work, and told them he wasn’t coming in. However, as the morning progressed, he felt better, but I was getting much worse. The pain in my side and lower abdomen would not let me lay down. I was nauseous and had the cold sweats. Ed called the doctor. They said to bring me right down.

I dont know how long it took me to be seen; I’m sure it felt like a lot longer than it actually was. The doctor’s concern was written all over her face, and she told Ed I needed to go to the emergency room, preferably in Liberty, an hour away. She would call and tell them we were coming. We went back to the house to get Katherine and headed to Liberty. Did I mention, the doctor’s office is about a half mile from the house?

I spent the first half of the trip, trying to find a comfortable position in the cab of Ed’s truck, and gently reminding Ed that a speeding ticket was not going to help us. About half way there, the pain lesson significantly, and I felt much better by the time we got to the ER. Wouldn’t that be a heck of a note; drive all the way down here, and then be fine!  It didn’t last, The pain returned with a vengeance. Thankfully, they gave me something for it right away.

After going through all the urine and blood work, they ordered a CT scan that confirmed their suspicions: Kidney stone. A big one. So they admitted me, kept me well medicated, and the next day, removed it. They let me come home Thursday evening with a bunch of instructions, medication, and a stint that will have to be removed next week. Trust me, you don’t want to know about that.

I’m slowly recovering. I’m still sleeping a lot from the drugs that I have to take for a few more days. Ed missed two days work total, and Kat, three days of school. You know she’s just heartbroken.

Ed and I both think it was the Lord’s doing that made Ed feel just sick enough to call in, so that he could be here when I needed to go to the doctor. Again, the Lord took care of us, getting us down there, and getting us seen. On top of that, I have to say the nursing staff at Liberty Hospital is phenomenal! I have not been treated so well in a hospital for a very long time.

Now, I just have to get better so I can catch up on the bazillion things I didn’t get done this week. I’ll be back soon,


6 thoughts on “Kidney Stones!

  1. So very sorry to hear about your kidney stone but thankful, like you, that Ed was home. The Lord seems to always do His magic. Glad you are home resting comfortably. YOU take care of yourself and don’t over do…..Don’t make me come over there and whoop you. Wink Wink Hugs. Mary Lou

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Oh ugh. I’ve been there. I really feel (have felt) your pain! Best wishes! I found, with mine, it was most likely my water intake. I live a pretty healthy (food wise) life that is certainly not bad for kidneys…however, my water intake is poor. I hope this is your only kidney stone experience!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s